Sunday, October 17, 2010

Working the Dinner Shift on a Saturday = D9!

You can plan for a dinner in the woods but you can't plan for a Saturday night rush at the town's favorite Indian Restaurant.  Being a waitress during the dinner shift has been one of the harder adaptations I've attempted to suit my ever changing schedule.  You can eat right before you go into work, but then you have to take a full meal's worth of insulin before running around the restaurant, and you risk not having a moment to check it or having low blood sugar sneak up on you right when you are trying to remember an order plus all those little things like straws and extra sauce that each individual throws into the request pile. 
This morning I planned on sleeping way, way in to combat my weary body and exhausted mind from last night.  I awoke not so way in to a dream in which I was laying down for a massage when the masseuse says to me, "OH you've got spiders all over your back!, so that's where they're coming from."  I guess there has got to be something to get you up and moving. 
I prefer when the clouds slowly break and a hot ray of light slides through them like water to wake up the forest and fill me with enough intrigue to greet the day.  See I don't really want to write about my job, I'd rather write about the woods and the other places that hold my thoughts. 

This whole "adventure diabetic" scheme came into my head when I greeted myself with the idea that I could not do an overnight trip backpacking because I could not keep my medicine cold, I wouldn't be able to eat backpacking food, I would not be able to pack my supplies and plan for emergency,etc.  It's that "etc." that always scares me.  But then I thought of how many times in my day to day life I am not in control of the scene, or in relation to my blood sugar, how many times I have to let go of my "ideal range," and accept all the life around me at that moment as a bigger priority (within safe bounds).  So I figured, if I can manage diabetes in a setting where I am skipping a formal dinner meal most nights and then eating at 11 pm standing up, but am on a normal eating schedule for two days out of the week, then I can definitely manage my blood sugar when I am following the most natural of human schedules: wake up with the sun, eat breakfast, walk (do physical work), eat lunch, (use physical energy), snack, walk, dinner, go to bed shortly after the sun does. 
Thus Sping, Summer, and early Fall have been filled with adventures I replay often enough in my head to write about...each one has had its own sets of challenges in relation to diabetes, and some of our expeditions would have just been challenging for anyone.  I am lucky (I realize) to have the most understanding, accomodating, and fun adventure partners that I can imagine - and who are pursuing personal adventures with their own unique and inspiring challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment